email: tambe at wharton.upenn.edu
NYU Mailing Address
558 Jon M. Huntsman Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19104
My principal research interests are in how labor markets for technical skills affect workers, firms, and cities, as well as on the impact of technological change on labor and career outcomes. Much of this research makes contributions by using new, fine-grained data sources generated by human activity conducted online. I am also very interested in how these new and emerging big data sources are transforming the practice of HR management. This work has been supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
* People are our Greatest Asset: Measuring the Market Value of Human Capital (with Erik Brynjolfsson, Daniel Rock, and Jacqueline Barrett)
* The Death of a Technical Skill: Evidence from the Demise of Adobe Flash (with John Horton)
* Employee Job Search During Mergers and Acquisitions (with Ashwini Agrawal)
* Why Do High Tech Firms Offer Perks at Work? (with Xuan Ye)
* An Inside Job? Gender, Job Search, and Information Technology Careers
* Paying to Program? Engineering Brand and High-Tech Wages (with Xuan Ye and Peter Cappelli)
PUBLISHED RESEARCH PAPERS
* Avgar, A., P. Tambe, and L. Hitt. 2017. Work Practices and Employee Skill Acquisition During Healthcare IT Implementation. MIS Quarterly.
* Agrawal, A., P. Tambe. 2016. Private Equity and Workers Career Paths: The Role of Technological Change. The Review of Financial Studies.
* Hitt, L., P. Tambe. 2016. Healthcare IT, Work Organization, and Nursing Home Performance. Industrial and Labor Relations Review.
* Tambe, P. 2014. Big Data Investment, Skills, and Firm Value, Management Science.
* Tambe, P., L. Hitt. 2014. Measuring Information Technology Spillovers, Information Systems Research.
* Tambe, P., L. Hitt. 2014. Job Hopping, Information Technology Spillovers, and Productivity Growth, Management Science
[Finalist for Best IS Paper Published in Management Science from 2012-2015]
* Tambe, P., L. Hitt. 2012. The Productivity of Information Technology Investments: New Evidence from IT Labor Data, Information Systems Research.
[Award for Best Paper Published in Information Systems Research in 2012]
* Tambe, P., L. Hitt, E. Brynjolfsson. 2012. The Extroverted Firm: How External Information Practices Affect Innovation and Productivity, Management Science.
* Tambe, P., L. Hitt. 2012. Now IT's Personal: Offshoring and the Shifting Skill Composition of the US Information Technology Workforce, Management Science.
[Finalist for Best IS Paper Published in Management Science from 2011-2014]
* Tambe, P., L. Hitt. 2010. How Offshoring Affects IT Workers. Communications of the ACM.
* Hitt, L., P. Tambe. 2007. Broadband Adoption and Content Consumption. Information Economics and Policy.
BOOKS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
* Horton, J., P. Tambe. Labor Economists Get Their Microscope: Big Data and Labor Market Analysis. Big Data.
* The Talent Equation: Big Data Lessons for Navigating the Skills Gap and Building a Competitive Workforce (with Matt Ferguson and Lorin Hitt, 2013, McGraw Hill Publishing)